[Histonet] Final notice: Missouri Society for Histotechnology Spring Symposium

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> Stowers-Institute.org
Tue May 10 14:06:06 CDT 2005

The Missouri Society for Histotechnology Spring Symposium

When: May 20-21, 2005

Where:
The Lodge of the Four Seasons, Lake Ozark, Missouri
(800) 843-5253
www.4seasonsresort.com

Note:  Rooms for 'The Lodge' may be fully booked so here are 2
alternative places to stay: The Country Club (800) 964-6698
(approximately 1.5 miles away) The Resort at Port Arrowhead (800)
532-3575 (approximately 3 miles away)

For additional meeting information please contact:
Sharon Walsh
Phone: (636) 305-9650
email: userwalsh <@t> aol.com
or
Rosetta Barkley
Phone: (913) 588-2737
email: rbarkley2 <@t> kumc.edu

We invite you to participate in a unique learning experience.  The
program is outstanding this year and should have something for everyone.
In addition there will be social activities and vendor displays.

Please Note: All workshops are CEU approved.

Friday Schedule:
  8:30am "Ergonomics in the Workplace", Jan Minshew, Leica Microsystems
  9:15am "Case Studies in Forensic Pathology", Dr. Michael Graham, St.
Louis University 10:45am "Histochemistry of Special Stains", Jerry
Fredenburgh  1:30pm-4:30pm Workshops #1, #2, or #3 (Your choice)
6:00-8:00pm - Cruise on the "Lake of the Ozarks" Come enjoy the lake and
visit with exhibitor's and friends.

Saturday Schedule:
 8:15am "Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease: Tissue Handling and Testing in the
United Kingdom", Konnie Zietner, Nebraska Medical Center  9:15am
"Histological Techniques in Hematopathology", Dr. Sharad Mather 10:45am
"Applications for Microwave Decalcification Procedures", Skip Brown
1:30pm-4:30pm Workshops #4, #5, or #6 (Your choice)

Registration Fees:
Members - $50,  Non-Members - $60
Additional Banquet Ticket - $25

2005 WORKSHOP DESCRIPTIONS

Workshop#1
Theory of Routine & Microwave Fixation & Processing - Skip Brown & Jerry
Fredenburgh The process of tissue fixation and processing will be
illustrated; first from a molecular level to demonstrate what is
actually happening at a micro level in the tissue; then from a macro
level to show the gross effects on the tissue.  Accelerated procedures
will be introduced as a way to speed up the process without detrimental
effects to the tissue.

Workshop #2			(Sponsored by Ventana Medical Systems)
 A Tour Guide to Immunohistochemistry: How to get there and what to do
when you arrive. - Chris Moore, BS World Wide Project Manager, Special
Stains, Ventana Medical Systems, Inc. Immunohistochemistry is defined
as, "A method of detecting the presence of specific proteins in cells or
tissues." If only it was that easy. A better definition may be, "A
method of standardizing each and every step in and out of your control
working toward a complex chemical construction of molecules to identify
specific proteins in a variety of tissues in a variety of stages in
order to answer specific questions." This class will not only identify
the building blocks of immunohistochemistry, from rabbit monoclonal
antibodies to polymer detection kits, but we will also review how each
step before the staining can affect those building blocks. This class
will also address some basic dilution techniques for concentrated
antibodies, the use of positive and negative controls, where to start
trouble shooting your new antibody. Finally, we will discuss the utility
of IHC in the clinical and research setting and its relevance to drug
discovery and disease treatment.

Workshop #3
Immunocytochemical and Immunohistochemical assays. A Pathologist's
perspective, Lourdes R. Ylagan MD, Washington University. This workshop
will show a brief overview of both immunohistochemical and
immunocytochemical techniques. It will also show examples of how double
immunostaining techniques can be helpful in both histologic and
cytologic samples. It will also show the ways in which immunochemistry
is used in: (1) the elucidation of the site of origin of a poorly
differentiated neoplasm in the setting of a metastasis, (2) detection of
antigens present in the surface of tumor cells amenable to
antibody-mediated chemotherapeutic agents, (3) detection of tumor
markers known to be potential poor prognostic indicators in tumors.

Workshop #4			(Sponsored by Leica Microsystems)
Quality and Skill in Microtomy Technique - Jan Minshew, Leica
MicroSystems This session will present an understanding of the physical
dynamics of microtomy, and discuss the effects of external variables
such as knife angle, room temperature, inadequate instrumentation, etc.

Workshop #5			(Sponsored by Ventana Medical Systems)
Special Stains: the Once and Future King? Chris Moore, BS World Wide
Project Manager, Special Stains, Ventana Medical Systems, Inc. Special
Stains are an art of using dyes to stain specific tissues and/or
cellular structures that were once thought of as a major advancement in
the histology lab. Now we have much more complex chemicals to stain
proteins and genes within those cells and tissues, yet we still find a
vast usage of special stains in the histology lab. In fact, some of the
specials stains have become so routine that they are oftentimes
considered as routine as the H&E in certain circumstances. Why do we
still utilize special stains when we have far less hazardous chemicals
that can pinpoint much more specific things? This class will address
that question. We will discuss where special stains has been, why they
have been around for so long, and where we see them going. This class
will break down the most frequently used special stains; discuss their
bio-chemical reactions and their utility. We will then compare those
special stains to their relevant immunohistochemistry and in-situ
hybridization counterparts to illustrate their utility and futility .
Workshop #6
>From Bench Tech to Management, Konnie Zietner, Nebraska Medical Center
Basic principles and skills you will need when transitioning from
technician to management.