[Histonet] Hospital based Histology Labs

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk
Mon May 9 10:12:05 CDT 2005

Very interesting question and very pertinent for Laboratory Modernisation in
the UK. Traditionally it has always been supposed that Histology Labs must
be on Site for the very reasons you suggest. My experience in London and now
in the North leads me to question that. I accept that frozen sections may
need a local presence, but they are relatively rare nowadays, but a
motorbike Courier service may be quicker than a porter!

I think a happy intermediary is for there to be a Core Lab, that deals with
the bulk of the processing and staining and this will reduce the duplication
of tests and increase the critical number of Staff; you should see costs
driven down. ICC and such like can be consolidated on one Site again with
cost savings. A satellite laboratory may be needed to deal with frozen
sections and urgent rapid H&E's, but I wonder if that necessity, once the
Core Lab became organised may 'wither on the vine'. The bigger problems are
MDT's and alienation of Pathologists from their Clinical colleagues;
Telepathology and the use of video cameras are a solution, but not a
complete one; the spontaneous ways we humans do business makes that an
unacceptable means of communicating.

In order to release resources consolidation must occur and if used wisely
may result in extension of roles with the positive impact on recruitment and
retention of Staff.

Do you get Black Pudding in America?