[Histonet] RE: antigen retrieval/enzyme digestion

Todd Sherman t-sherman <@t> comcast.net
Mon May 9 08:58:31 CDT 2005

On Sun, 08 May 2005 12:00:26 -0500,
<histonet-request <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu> wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. RE: antigen retrieval/enzyme digestion (Patsy Ruegg)

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 09:42:06 -0600
> From: "Patsy Ruegg" <pruegg <@t> ihctech.net>
> Subject: RE: [Histonet] antigen retrieval/enzyme digestion
> To: "'Till, Renee'" <TillRenee <@t> uams.edu>,
> 	<histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
>
> I have heard of it being done both ways depending on the epitope of
> interest.  In general I do HIER first and then EIER.
> Patsy

Renee,

I'd tend to agree with Patsy as far as a sequence best determined
empirically. You'll probably need to compare each protocol for each
antigen of interest.

 From a theoretical perspective, both techniques of "unmasking" involve the
breaking of strong molecular bonds. HIER is typically designed to cleave
the basic side-chains of amino acids on proteins previously fixed (or
bound to each other) with x-aldehyde. Enzyme digestion is similarly
designed to cleave proteins but at well defined amino acids which are not
necessarily basic - it depends on the digesting enzyme and its substrate.

My guess would be that progressing from a more basic (read simple/generic)
to a more specific cleaving sequence would be more efficient;
consequently, treat with HIER first and enzyme digestion second. The HIER
would open up the tissue to further access and the enzyme digestion could
then more specifically cleave regions hindering an even more localized
access to your target antigen. To a great extent, these success derived
 from these sequences will be greatly influenced by the local milieu of
your target antigen. The relative content of various amino acids in a
given milieu may or may not be known. To that end empirical observations
are "best" which is why mandating one particular protocol over another may
be a bit dubious.

Good luck.
Todd

President
HistoSoft Corporation
--
<<<<<<<< Biology In A New Form (c) >>>>>>>