[Histonet] F4/80 and alveloar macrophages

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Thu May 5 14:56:32 CDT 2005

I needed to chime in on this discussion.  I have used serotec's F4/80
antibody a lot and in a wide variety of mouse tissues and different
disease states.  I have run this antibody on mouse lungs that have been
exposed to tuberculosis and from my experiences it does not stain all
alveolar macrophages.  I have seen variations in staining patterns and
intensity in different lesions in one lung and differences from animal
to animal.  So if you are looking for a marker that will detect all
alvelolar macrophages this antibody will not.  I consider it more of an
activated macrophage marker and expression will vary.  The literature
states that this particular antibody is expressed at low levels on
avelolar macrophages, but expressed in all mouse macrophages, but the
expression of the Ag varies greatly depending upon the state of cell
activation.  We use it mostly in detection macrophages in disease
states, since macrophages are effected by the release of growth factors,
cytokines etc during the disease process.  30% of normal mouse bone
marrow will be positive and it does stain kupffer cells quite well.
I'll post an image to the histonet of F4/80 of a mouse lung lesion.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
P.O. Box 18592