[Histonet] Sliding vs. Sledge Microtome

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Mar 28 13:53:04 CST 2005

  Took a look at Leica's sliding microtomes,  they use the terms sliding
and sledge interchangeably with these LARGE sliding microtomes.  One can
use these for large whole specimen sectioning i.e. prostates, eyes, or bone
work, and in case of the SM2400 - wood products industry.  It seems the
sledge (aka sled) can either hold a blade and go sliding to a block OR the
sledge can hold a block to go sliding to the blade.

The manually operated model Leitz 1500 now known as an Leica SM2400 sliding
microtome. On the latter they talk about a sledge locking device on the
"sled" (definition of sledge!) part of the microtome where the specimen is
clamped.

The Leica SM2500 (aka Polycut) sliding microtome, in conjunction with its
use with an an ultramiller, also referred to as a sledge microtome in their
description of this instrument.    Once again it is the sample (commonly a
methylmethacrylate embedded calcified bone block clamped onto a sledge for
sectioning by a stationary tungsten carbide blade OR a milled by a
stationary ultramiller.).   I have seen Polycuts inside cryochambers and
there are even bigger, pricier cryostats available - one we considered for
whole mouse cryosectioning but the $200,000 plus price tag and huge size
were limiting factors.

Leica has a  third sliding microtome with blade moving to the sample, or at
least that is what I could deduce from reading their description of
instrument operation.

Go to LeicaMicrosystem website, specifically
http://www.histo-solutions.com/website/sc_hbu.nsf and look at their
sliding/sledge microtomes.

We never felt any one of our sliding microtomes was any safer than the
other.  They required great concentration to operate preferrably behind
closed doors and no sudden startle factors/distractions.  Both our sliding
microtomes were superbly capable of finger amputation.