[Histonet] Automated Microtomes

Favara, Cynthia (NIH/NIAID) cfavara <@t> niaid.nih.gov
Mon Mar 28 10:40:50 CST 2005

Renee,

I have 2 Leica's 2255. I love them. I use them daily they have saved my
wrist and shoulder. You can use them in automatic or manual mode. It is easy
to go between manual and automatic. I have a foot pedal and I find it to be
very efficient.

I am strictly a research facility and work primarily on rodents infected
with scrapie. We are working on numerous transgenic mice with deer/elk and
other PrP genes. I wanted a microtome that I could use in a bio-safety hood
so I could trap all the paraffin scraps when I am cutting. If you have ever
cut mouse tissue you will appreciate that even in the best of circumstances
it is very dry. I use the automatic mode on the tiniest of samples. Maybe
not quite a tiny as biopsies but mouse lymph nodes are pretty small. Some of
my work requires me to cut brain with precision so that we can sample
multiple animals in a specific anatomic region. I have never had any
difficulty doing this in the automatic mode.

Can't say enough wonderful things about this microtome!

Happy Shopping!

Cynthia Favara
NIAID/NIH/RML/LPVD
903 South 4th Street
Hamilton, MT 59840
406-363-9317

Disclaimer:
The information in this e-mail and any of its attachments is confidential
and may contain sensitive information. It should not be used by anyone who
is not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in
error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other
storage devices. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases shall
not accept liability for any statements made that are sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of the NIAID by one of its representatives