[Histonet] uneven sections on slides

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu
Thu Mar 17 15:06:59 CST 2005

Multi levels of focus can also be attributed to sections that are too
thick.

Jennifer MacDonald

RCHIOVETTI <@t> aol.com
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
03/17/2005 08:54 AM

Julie.Sanders <@t> med.va.gov, Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [Histonet] uneven sections on slides

In a message dated 3/17/2005 9:25:56 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
Julie.Sanders <@t> med.va.gov writes:

> In the past few days one our pathologists has been complaining about
> "uneven
> sections."  In other words, he's having to focus up and down a lot
because
> the sections aren't flat on the slide.

Julie,

It sounds to me like the problem may lie in the microtome.  It could be a
type of "chatter" in the sections.  They may indeed not be flat on the
slide, or
they could be of uneven thickness.

This is almost always because something is loose on the microtome, such as

the specimen clamp or something in the knife holder, and the main offender
is
usually the knife holder.

A quick check would be to cut the same block on different microtomes, then

ask the doc to evaluate the sections.  See if you can pinpoint the problem
to a
specific instrument.

If you find you have a problem with one microtome, be sure to check out
the
knife holder and the clamping mechanism for the blade.  It could be
something
as simple as paraffin debris in the blade clamping mechanism, or maybe the

clamping pressure needs to be adjusted or the mechanism's springs need to
be
replaced.

Just my two cents' worth.  Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Bob

Robert (Bob) Chiovetti, Ph.D.