[Histonet] processing[Scanned]

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk
Wed Mar 16 08:27:45 CST 2005

I fancy it involved removing the paraffin and taking back to thin cedar wood
oil (which is a 'clearing agent') and soaking for a few hours. Then you
remove the cedar wood oil with three changes of molten paraffin. We also
used 'Mollyfex' but I can't remember who sold it; the problem over taking
tissue right back to water is that you have to dehydrate and clear again,
all that hardens tissue. If the tissues are irretrievable then give it a
try; but only after you have tried to get a diagnostic section. If you
really want to sort it out then read 'Histopathologic Technic and Practical
Histochemistry' RD Lillie and Harold M. FullmerMcGraw-Hill Inc 1975.
Histology is becoming a bit like computers I think; I grew up with MSDOS and
DRDOS and can still 'shell out' from Windows XP. Automatic tissue processors
mean we are losing the 'art' in Histology; the grumblings of an old man.

I suppose buying Lillie is like buying a book on MSDOS too; you never know
when you need to go back to basics.

Kemlo Rogerson

Cellular Pathology Manager

East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust