[Histonet] Placenta anyone?

Michael Titford mtitford <@t> usouthal.edu
Thu Mar 10 10:36:45 CST 2005

Jennifer McDonald asks about placenta.
We routinely exam every placenta from every baby born at out Children's
& Woman's hospital. Normal placenta receive "gross only" treatment of
weights, dimensions and description.
Abnormal history or findings trigger a "gross in" of four blocks
containing proximal, medial and distal cord, membranes, full thickness
and sample of any pathological areas found. Abnormal history includes
history of premature birth, abruption, history of more than one
spontaneous abortion, overweight baby, etc, etc.
I think examining placenta is now pretty much the standard of care.
OBGYN people like documentation of placenta from problem births in case
a case goes to court

Mike Titford
USA Pathology
Mobile AL USA.