[Histonet] Paraplast Plus

pam marcum mucram11 <@t> comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 12:56:43 CST 2005

Gayle is giving the best advise you can get for any paraffin on the market
today.  They all have additives and these problems can occur all of them if
not properly stirred and mixed daily.  One question I have is do you allow
the paraffin to re-solidify overnight?  IF so this can add to the problem.

Pam Marcum

-------Original Message-------

From: Gayle Callis
Date: 03/09/05 11:41:55
To: Mike Safron; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Paraplast Plus

We had trouble with this paraffin in the past:

Several things:

Although the droplet appear not miscible, have you tried stirring the
paraffin after melting to redistribute the plastic polymer additives, etc
that are in the paraffin.  This should be done before embedding, and before
adding any melted paraffin to processor paraffin containers, pots.  During
processing, agitaion should keep these resuspended.  Stirring paraffin
before embedding EACH DAY is advisable to keep additives (heavier so they
settle to bottom of paraffin pots) suspended or you will run into
sectioning problems.  A plastic spatula is very handy for this purpose.

If stock paraffin is stored in a cold place and then melted,
water  condenses and  water droplets form in bottom of paraffin
pots/storage containers.  Store your stock paraffin at recommended
tempertures, cool, but not extremely cold place, dry.  We found room
temperature storage was adequate prior to melting.

Also, do not melt Paraplast Plus over 62C, high temperatures create havoc
with this paraffin, and you may damage additives - we never exceeded 62C
for melting, storage or processing protocols.

Poor sectioning occured with high temperature melting of this paraffin and
also not stirring it before embedding or dispensing into paraffin processor
pots.

Clean storage pots and embedding centers frequently.

and At 08:21 AM 3/9/2005, you wrote:
>We are using Paraplast Plus from Kendall (Tyco/Healthcare).  We have
noticed
>that after the paraffin melts (in embedding center and paraffin pot) that
>there is what appears to be a straw colored liquid that is deposited at the
>bottom of the units.  It would appear that the liquid is not miscible with
>the melted paraffin. This liquid is causing problems with embedding.  Does
>anybody know where this liquid is coming from?

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology