[Histonet] tried posting this once already... didn't work.

Robyn Vazquez vazquezr <@t> ohsu.edu
Mon Mar 7 09:13:30 CST 2005

BRAVO Megan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I to fell into being a histotech.  ALL started in the military.  I was
trained as a lab tech, but a billet came open for a lab tech in a
histotechs job.  Out of military into guess what? A histo job.  All I
had was On the job training, no schooling, just self taught and a lot of
patient senior techs.  Wahla, 14 years later and still a histotech
without formal schooling for this position.  My docs expect a great deal
from me and I deliver without four years of schooling.  Thanks for
letting me share my views.

Robyn
OHSU

>>> <TheBestTime23 <@t> aol.com> 03/04/05 3:28 PM >>>
OK.  I really wasn't expecting much of a response from my post, and
was
really surprised by what I got.  I want to start by apologizing to all
that I
have offended.  It surely wasn't my intent.  And while I have  thought
of a lot
of things to say in response to your many e-mails, I will try  to keep
this
within reason.
First:  I like my job.  I feel very fortunate to have gotten into  a
field
that pays me well, keeps me interested and has a lot of potential for
growth.
I take pride in the work that I do and I love learning new things
every day.
I have recently gotten the opportunity to train on immunos and  I
couldn't be
more thrilled.
Second, and probably more to the point:  I was really trying to make a

comment about the requirements for being a histotech, not a statement
about the
job itself.  The e-mail I was responding to had mentioned 4 years of
college as
a pre-req, and I thought that was an excessive amount.  I  probably
have a
skewed point of view, having dropped out of college after only  one
semester,
but I think that there are many bright and talented people that
haven't gone to
college that could still do wonderfully as histotechs.  If  you had 4
years
of college as a requirement and add another 2 to learn the histo
stuff, you're
looking at 6 years.  You could become a pathology assistant  in that
amount
of time and be earning a whole lot more when you were done and  still
be
working in a similar field.  That was my only real point.  I
understand that they
want people to have more education and that's fine.  I  like the way
that the
ASCP also takes credit hours into consideration and is not  just
looking for a
degree.  But 4 years, in my opinion, is too much.   WAY too much.  I
would
hate to think how many very talented histotechs we  would not have now
had the
requirements been that stiff 20 years ago.
I guess my third point is more of a question.  I know how I got to be
histotech.  I basically fell into it.  I knew someone who worked in  a
lab and I
started as a lab aid, heard about on the job training and went from
there.  I
know a lot of people who started that way, or as phlebotomists or
something
similar.  How many people got started in a similar way?  I  also know
that most
people get a totally blank look on their face when you tell  them that
you
work in histology.  I had certainly never heard of it  before.  How
many of you
had?  I can't see many people looking through  a course list and saying
themselves, "oh, histology, that would be perfect  for me", because
most of them
wouldn't know what the heck it was.  As far  as I know (and this is
mostly a
guess) there aren't any 2 year programs at tech  schools or anything
like that.
 Histology is kind of an anomaly that  way.  Taught in hospitals and
clinics,
but not schools.  Maybe the on  the job training wasn't such a bad
thing.  At
least it would get those  remaining empty spots full, until some more
concrete method of teaching our  craft is set up.  Just another
thought.  One that I
hope won't get me  into any more trouble  : )

My apologies,

Megan
Grateful new histotech