[Histonet] ASCP, schools and education

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu
Sun Mar 6 16:12:47 CST 2005

   You  guessed  wrong  on  the availability of schools for Histotechnol   ogy.   If  you  check  the  NSH  website  you  can see the schools and
   hospita   These  are  N   Associate  Degrees.   the minimum educa

   Jennifer MacD
   Mt. San Antonio College (one of the 12 schools offering as    Degree)

   -----histonet-bounces <@t> list
     To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
     From: T     Sent   by:   histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu<     03/04/2005 03:28PM
     Subject:  [Histonet]  tried  posting  this once      work.
     OK.   I     and  was
     really  surprised by what I got.  I want to start by apologizing to
     al     have  offended.   It  surely  wasn't my intent.  A     thought of a lot
     of things to say in response to      keep this
     within reason.  <     to have gotten i     that pays me well, keeps me interested and has a lot      for  growth.
     I  take pride in the work that I do      every day.
     I have recently      couldn't be
     more     Second,  and  probably more to the point:  I was really tr     make a
     comment  about  the  requirements  for  being  a histote     statement about the
     job itself.  The e-mail I was      of  college as
     a  pre-req,  and       probably have a
     s     one sem     but  I  think that there are many bright and talented people that      haven't gone to
     college  that  could still do wonderfully as histot     had 4 years
     of  college as a requirement and ad      stuff, you're
     looking  at  6 years.      that amount
     of  ti     still  be working in a similar field.  That was my only real point.
      I &n     want  people to have more education and that's      way that the
     ASCP  also takes credit hours      looking for a
     degree.  Bu      I  would  <     would not have      requirements been that stiff 20 years ago.
     I  guess  my th     to be  a
     h     i     started  as  a  lab aid, heard about on the job traini     from  there.  I
     know a lot of people who started       something
     similar.   How man     know  that  most people get a totally blank look on their face when
     you tell  them th     work  in  histology.  I had certainly never heard of it       How many of you
     had?   I can't see many people looki     saying to
     themselves,  "oh,  histology     because most of them
     wouldn't  kn     is mostly a     guess)  there aren't any 2 year programs at tech  schools or anyth     ing like that.
     Histology  is  kind of an anomaly that  way.  Ta     and clinics,
     but not schools.  Maybe the on &nbs     a bad thing.  At
     least  it  would get     more
     concrete  metho     thought.       hope won't get me  into any more trouble  : )
     <     Megan
     Grateful new histotech
     ____     ______________________     5F__     Histonet mailing      Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
     [1]http://lists.utsou