[Histonet] OCT embedding...

Y. Wang ynwang <@t> u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 4 10:40:11 CST 2005

Rebecca,

We have recently aquired a laser capture microdissection system and have
been embedding our tissue in OCT, capturing tissue for RT-PCR without much
problem (although we are still quite new to this!). We just make sure that
all our instruments that we use to take, embed and section the biopsy has
been sterilized and washed in RNAse Away. Also we make sure that we embed
as quickly as possible and store our blocs at -80deg. Our tissue is
sectioned at -35 (we are working with skin) and sections are kept cold
(store in -80) until use (we clean the cryostat out inbetween each bloc).
We have an extremely fast staining protocol (I was surprised by how little
time immuno could take!) that we adapted from Lindeman N et al.
(Diagnostic Molecular pathology 2002 11(4):187-192) and we use a kit
(picopure) for our RNA. So far we have had good results and it didn't take
much time to set the procedures up. We have had good technical assistence
from the LCM manufaturer (Arcturus) though. Check out the Arcturus web
site if you need more technical info.

Good luck
Yak-Nam