[Histonet] block alignment

amosbrooks <@t> earthlink.net amosbrooks <@t> earthlink.net
Thu Mar 3 09:33:39 CST 2005

Jeanine,
     I like to think about it as if I were the patient. If I had a focal lesion and it was on the surface of the block and some one decided that it would be easier to re-embed and re-face the block than to align the microtome and the lesion was faced off, I'd be really upset. Re-embedding the blocks is a rather dumb idea because you need to cut into the block to get a full face anyway, there is bound to be tissue loss. Aligning the block is a really quick process that can be done easily once you are familiar with doing it. You just need to know what to do. Know the tools you are working with and life will be easier for everyone. Re-embedding all the blocks is going to take a lot of time (you certainly aren't saving time with that option) and you are introducing another potential source of problems. What if the cassettes accidentally got switched or tissue from one block got mixed in with tissue from another. It can easily happen when re-embedding a LOT of blocks. It's just not worth it, re-align don't re-embed unless it's absolutly necessary.

Just my $0.02
Amos

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:42:22 -0500
From: "Bartlett, Jeanine" <JQB7 <@t> CDC.GOV>
Subject: [Histonet] block alignment
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

Hi:

Does anyone out there have any experience with block alignment products
such as the Microtome Aligner from Newcomer or the Histo Collimator?  We
receive a huge number of outside blocks and I adjust my block holder
accordingly, but others in the group say it's easier to re-embed all
outside blocks (Yikes!) and then have every microtome aligned the same.
I was just wondering if these aligners work and if so perhaps it could
be an alternative for those individuals that normally would rather
re-embed than realign.

Thanks!
Jeanine Bartlett, HT(ASCP)
Infectious Disease Pathology Activity