[Histonet] ASCP testing

Deltour, Douglas D. (HM2) DDDeltour <@t> mar.med.navy.mil
Wed Mar 2 08:42:58 CST 2005

You got me all wrong. I passed my practical back in 2000. I have 2 more
times to take it before the end of the year. IF I don't pass I will be
placed in the new category where I will have to have an Associates and
resubmit my blocks..ect.. The discouraging thing is that many good techs
will be out in the cold unless they get an Associates degree. That is if
they don't pass the ASCP test. I work with many good tech that are not
registered and do not have a degree. If they would want to apply for another
job they could not because they would not be ASCP eligible. If there is a
shortage of techs this will make it harder for employers to find ASCP
eligible techs. I am all for education and knowing your job but I was just
amazed that 75% of test takers failed. IS the tests and the bar being raised
too high at a time where there is a shortage of techs?

-----Original Message-----
From: Deltour, Douglas D. (HM2)
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 8:45 AM
To: histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: [Histonet] ASCP testing

What is alarming to me is that the last exam had a 75% failure percentage(so
I was told). Why was there a sudden need for ASCP to make the exam harder
then what it used to be (pre-2001-2002)? Is it the almighty dollar? With the
new standard in play needing an Associate Degree to be eligible, how will it
effect the shortage of "ASCP  eligible" techs? I see many going back to
school or techs being hired just for ASCP title, not experience. Will this
force employers to change there hiring standards or will it be harder to
find a ASCP eligible tech to fill a position? For the record I sent my
blocks in in 2000 so I have until the end of the year to pass the test. It
is kind of discouraging when everyone around you is failing this test 2-3
times. Do I make sense here are am I way off?? As usual :)

DOUGLAS D. DELTOUR
HISTOLOGY TECHNICIAN
NMC PORTSMOUTH VA