[Histonet] The monkey cranking the microtome[Scanned]

Luis Chiriboga Luis.Chiriboga <@t> med.nyu.edu
Wed Mar 2 08:14:07 CST 2005

I think everyone here has made some excellent points and I have been
following this thread with great interest. I have been in this field for 18+
years and I think it is safe to say that those of us who have remained in
this field for more than just a few years,.....do so because we enjoy what
we do. Above all else, if your not happy with what you do, "job",
"profession", "career" all the money and respect in the world will not make
you happy. I tell people (residents, attending, students) I enjoy what I do
very much,  so much that you don't have to pay me to do it (they barely do
anyway!)

That being said, I think that a couple of "take home messages" from this
thread are extremely important. First, no one, except histologist, can
change the way this discipline is viewed by the rest of the scientific
community. That community is built upon science and that is the language
that we need to speak in. Second, it is up to the experienced people (I
count myself as one) to pass to the Megan's of the world the challenges that
we all know exist in this discipline.  Be they political or scientific. Most
importantly, there still are many fundamental scientific questions that need
to be answered in histology. Education is the basis for answering these
questions.

The histology field is in a precarious position, these are not easy times we
face and the tasks ahead are challenging, but as is often the case "the
greater the difficulty.....the greater the reward"

Luis Chiriboga Ph.D., HT (ASCP) QIHC
New York University School Of Medicine
NYU Cancer Institute and
Bellevue Hospital Center