[Histonet] Re:Hematoxylin

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Mar 1 12:39:54 CST 2005

Karen,

Contact your Richard Allen sales rep, and have them send smaples of all the
different types of hematoxylins (Gill formulations, Harris, progressive
hematoxylins, and Mayers)  or the just ones you want to try.  We  prefer
hematoxylin 1, a progressive hematoxylin that does not need acid alcohol
differentiation. It can be shipped to Montana in winter without
freezing.   Richard Allen has a wonderful hematoxylin and eosin staining
guide, found on their website to help you out with any of the various
types.  WE never went wrong with Gill II formulations either.

They also sell eosin y and other reagents needed for hematoxylin staining,
clarifier (acetic acid solution) and bluing solution.

Good luck

  At 11:01 AM 3/1/2005, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I was just wondering what everyone is using for Hematoxylin these days.
>We are one of those rare Histology Labs that makes their own hematoxylin
>and eosin and I just got the OK from our Pathologist to try out some
>commercial brands.  What do you like?  What are you using?  Good and bad
>comments are greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks!!
>
>Karen Bauer HT(ASCP)
>Histology Supervisor
>Luther Hospital
>Eau Claire, WI
>********************Confidentiality Notice********************
>

>This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to
>whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged,
>confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any
>unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this email
>message, including any attachment, is prohibited. If you are not the
>intended recipient, please advise the sender by reply email and destroy
>all copies of the original message. Thank you.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology