Here I go again[Histonet] Expiration date

Joe Nocito JNocito <@t> Pathreflab.com
Mon Jun 20 17:53:03 CDT 2005

Patti,
this year we labeled the reagents "For Student Use Only" Since we use the
Ventana XTs, it's hard to by-pass the expiration dates.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Patti
Loykasek
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 9:32 AM
To: histonet
Subject: Re: Here I go again[Histonet] Expiration date

Joe - I totally agree with you. My only question is this: with the new CAP
rule in place, have you been cited for using expired reagents? While I would
be most concerned with proper QC, I know most inspectors go by the letter of
the rule, and aren't open for debate. We got written up for having a box
with an expired date on it - we were using it to store some excess
non-expired reagent ( I know, exactly a smart thing to do).

Patti Loykasek
PhenoPath Laboratories
Seattle, WA

> Okay,
> I've been too quiet for too long. Here I go again.
>
> I am so tired of CAP and their ridiculous regulations. Every CAP
inspection
> I fight this same question. When I was supervising the Immuno lab at AFIP,
> we froze concentrated antibodies at -70 for years. Antibodies that were
> frozen in 1080, were still viable in 1990. That means we were running
> immunos in 1990 with 1980 prices. What is so wrong about that?
>   We also ran a known positive control with each batch. If the positive
> control worked, guess what? The antibody was still good. If the positive
> control did not work, we threw out that lot number and repeated it with
> another lot number. When we saw that there was a drop in the staining
> intensity, we  tossed that lot and started another. My experience with
> antibodies is that they just don't go bad over night, they start staining
> with less intensity.
>   I think that the CAP board members have stocks in the biochemical
> companies. Please don't get me wrong, I have many close friends that work
in
> the biochemical side of this, but why would this drastic change in view?
The