[Histonet] Expiration date

Amos Brooks amosbrooks <@t> earthlink.net
Sun Jun 19 13:45:31 CDT 2005

Joe,
    A couple things come to mind here. Firstly, you must have one heck
of a good freezer to maintain antibodies from 1080 to 1990. That
predates the Magna Carta and the Battle of Hastings :-) (of course you
meant 1980, I'm pulling your leg here)
    Secondly, It is worth noting that since immunohistochemistry is
becoming so common these days one cannot assume everyone is as
proficient at quality control as anyone else. So it follows that if an
epitope becomes less intense in label over time it would not be
surprising to find a tech that doesn't notice until it becomes
problematic. This would also hold true for the less commonly used
antibodies. We often have doctors request a new antibody and the
confounded thing expires before he orders it a second time. Would I even
notice if it was less intense than it was 2 years ago? I hope so but who
knows? Granted this is fishing for a lowest common denominator, but that
seems to be the way things are going these days.
    I agree that the CAP is a bit too obsessed with dates than with QC
follow up and it becomes an expensive endeavor for labs to keep up with
it. I think as long as the doctor reading the case is content with the
signal on the test and control the CAP should leave well enough alone.
But the lab should be responsible for making sure the antibody is
reactive before using it. Let's face it we've all seen a case where
there is one and only one slide with a lesion of interest on it. In a
situation like that I'd like to know for sure the antibody is good the
first time.

Just some things to consider,
Amos Brooks