[Histonet] Expired reagents

Patti Loykasek ploykasek <@t> phenopath.com
Thu Jun 16 14:27:36 CDT 2005

Donation is a wonderful idea. Some high schools are doing histo work, too.

In regards to using expired reagents in the lab, I personally don't have a
problem with it if your positive QC's are working, but (& this is a big but)
CAP has a big problem with it. This is  ANP.22432 on the CAP checklist & it
is a phase II. If you are a CAP accredited lab, you can not use expired
reagents no matter what.  It makes me want to cry.

To add more fuel to the flame, how are people handling the comment that goes
with ANP.12425 that states you can use RUO reagents in "home brew" tests if
you document that you searched for IVD or ASR class reagents & failed to
find any. What do you think of that??? Doesn't seem impossible to do, just
more paperwork/documentation.

Patti Loykasek
PhenoPath Laboratory
Seattle, WA