[Histonet] (no subject)

Zach Weil zacharyweil <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 18:16:30 CDT 2005

I am trying to bring the animal model of MS (EAE) into our lab.   In reading the literature it seems as if the best way to analyze the nervous tissue would be staining with H&E, Luxol fast blue and Bielschowsky.  I want to use both brain and spinal cord tissue.  However, I am unsure of how to proceed in several areas.  1) It is very difficult for me to remove the spinal cord from the animal without perfusing it first.  However, in the literature most people remove the cord and drop it in formalin, is there any reason why perfusion would not work?   2) The other question is paraffin embedding vs. frozen and OCT.  I would have to have the tissue embedded at a commercial lab so I would prefer to use frozen sections, but I can’t tell if that would interfere with these stains.

Thanks so much,

Zach

Zachary Weil

Graduate Research Associate

Departments of Psychology and Neuroscience

The Ohio State University

614-538-9540

fax (614) 451-3116

http://www.psy.ohio-state.edu/nelson/zach_weil.htm