[Histonet] Tissue microarrays use?. .

Henry, Charlene Charlene.Henry <@t> STJUDE.ORG
Fri Jun 3 15:43:13 CDT 2005

They are greatly instrumental in research. Working at a research
facility, we were able to pay for the purchase of the instrument with
only 1 research project. Example: A pathologist has a research project
that he/she is doing say on Neuroblastoma. They have 150 blocks that
they need a total of 10 IHC tests on each block. You take the 150 blocks
and prepare 2 tissue micro array blocks and then run your 10 IHC test on
the 2 TMA blocks. You have saved a great deal of money because you have
20 IHC tests instead of 1500 IHC tests that would have been needed
without the tissue array blocks. At approximately $15 for each IHC test,
you can see that $300 is much better than $22,500.

Charlene Henry HT (ASCP), QIHC
Histology/Immunohistochemistry Section Head
Department of Pathology
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
901-495-3191
fax 901-495-3100

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Madary,
Joseph
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 3:28 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Tissue microarrays use?. .

Can someone explain to me what the big deal is on tissue microarrays?  I
understand that they are many perfect circles of known diseased or
normal tissues than can be used as a control for various applications.
What are the applications for this stuff on routine or research that
would make it worth it for us to either do it ourselves or contract it
out?  Can it be done in house cheap?