[Histonet] different antigens need different methods for antigenretrieval?

Katri Tuomala katri <@t> cogeco.ca
Thu Jun 2 19:10:04 CDT 2005

Generally speaking each antibody is optimized by the manufacturer (if not=
,=20
it should be) as far as, application, antigen retrieval and approximate=20
dilution. Their specification sheet gives you that information. That is y=
our=20
starting point to set it up in your detection system.
If your test material is outside the application recommended for that=20
antibody, it still may work, but you will have to do a lot more trials,=20
before you know that. For instance, if the application is said to be for=20
frozen section, but you want to use it with formalin fixed paraffin embed=
ded=20
tissue, you'll have to do as complete work-up as you can. ie. try various=
=20
enzymatic digestions, HIER in different buffers or no retrieval at all. I=
t=20
can sometimes take days and even weeks of concentrated effort and even th=
en=20
you may not be able to make an antibody to work for something it was not=20
meant for. So, when selecting an antibody, try to match it for the=20
application you will need it for.
Hope this helps a bit...
Katri

 Katri Tuomala