[Histonet] RE: Biotin conjugated Antibodies -- can we skip biotin??

pruegg <@t> ihctech.net pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Sun Jul 31 09:34:49 CDT 2005

Chris Is correct here I use what ever secondary I have that is against the
primary antibody species even if it is conjugated with biotin or fitc with a
labeled polymer hrp detection system to avoid the problem of unblockable
endogenous biotin in the tissue.  I just got a labeled polymer detection
system for primary antibodies made in goats from Invitrogen (I had trouble
finding one for goat primary antibodies).
Patsy

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of C.M. van der
Loos
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 6:14 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Biotin conjugated Antibodies -- can we skip biotin??

   Hello,

   You may apply successfully any appropriate anti-goat reagent, ignoring
   the biotin-label of the primary antibody. Biotin groups at the primary
   are far too small to block anti-goat reagents. As long as there are no
   biotin-binding  structures  in  the section, which is only very rarely
   the  case, the biotin-label of the primary isn't influencing the final
   staining result.

   Chris van der Loos, PhD
   Dept. of Pathology
   Academical Medical Center M2-230