[Histonet] DIF procedures

Katri Tuomala katri <@t> cogeco.ca
Tue Jul 26 20:09:52 CDT 2005

Ron,
we have used a simple direct IF method for years to do IgA, IgG, IgM,
complement3c, fibrinogen, albumin, kappa and lambda on fresh frozen human
renal biopsies.
We collect the needle biopsy at the ultrasound department, when the biopsy
is being taken. One core is put in 10% NBF, second one snap frozen and a
small piece is fixed in 2% glutaraldehyde for EM.

When IF is requested by the pathologist, we cut 5mu sections from the frozen
piece and let slides ( use poly-l-lysine or + slides) dry at room
temperature for minimum 30 minutes. H&E gets done on one slide to make sure
there are glomeruli in the biopsy. We then do the direct immunofluorescence
on unfixed sections:
1. Wash in PBS for 15 minutes
2. Apply fluorescein conjugated antibody on the sections for 30 minutes:
Dako FITC/IgA at 1:20 in PBS
Dako FITC/IgG at 1:30
Dako FITC/IgM at 1:20
Dako FITC/C3c at 1:50
Dako FITC/fibrinogen at 1:10
Dako FITC/kappa at 1:20
Dako FITC/lambda at 1:20
Dako FITC/albumin at 1:30
(keep slides away from light, cover with a towel)
3. Wash well in PBS x2 for 15 minutes each.
4. Coverslip with aqueous non-fluorescent mounting medium, store in fridge
until ready to read. Photographic record is made of results, since these
preparations are not considered permanent.

Hope this helps,
Katri

Katri Tuomala
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada