[Histonet] Workloads vs Hiso staffing

Katia Cristina Catunda kccatunda <@t> terra.com.br
Thu Jul 21 18:22:32 CDT 2005

We do have a great interest on that question either. My supervisor sent me
an FAQ he got on CAP telling that the ideal workload would be 50 H/E slides
per histotechnician
http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/cap_today/q_and_a/qa_1102.html - answered by
Richard W. Brown, MD

In our lab we do have 12 histotechnicians with a routine that is about 470
blocks (for 1/3 of them we generate two slides, one for HE and one for H.
pilory) and 600 citological slides per day. They alternate their function
every week:
- embedding - 3 of them
- microtomy 4 of them
- staining/mounting and organizing slides - 2 of them
- specific staining -the same of embedding
- archiving blocks - the same of staining
- citology routine - 2 of them
- one is allways on vacation
- immunohistochemistry - 2 of them are moved to other room twice a week

I was wondering which is the best way to determinate their workload in order
to analyse if we have too many or too less employees. My personal opinion is
that 50 H/E slides per employee would be very hard-working and out of our
range.

Does anybody has any idea?

But all of these informations are international since we are from Brazil...

Katia