[Histonet] postmortem tissue collection

Rogerson Kemlo (ELHT) Pathology Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk
Wed Jul 20 02:29:01 CDT 2005

Interestingly I was reading about tissue death after death (so as to
speak) on a Web Site dealing with Death (I'm strange like that); I was
interested in rigor. I hadn't realised that some tissue deep within the
cadaver can survive for many hours after death. I suppose it's those
tissues that require little or no oxygen to survive; brain dies very
rapidly. If I could remember the Site then I'd tell you but a search in
Google under rigor may help. Wonder which bit of you dies last? Same in
men and women?

-----Original Message-----
From: Y. Wang [mailto:ynwang <@t> u.washington.edu]
Sent: 20 July 2005 00:20
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] postmortem tissue collection

Dear histonetters,

I have a question regarding collection of human tissue. A colleague
would
like to collect human tissue (skin and underlying adipose tissue) for
mechanical testing, histological analysis (cellular and structural
evaluation), IHC and protein analysis (extracellular matrix structure
and
concentrations). They asked what would be a fair cut off time for tissue

collection so that the effects of decay would not be a factor. Currently

they have given the tissue bank a time of 12 hours postmortem (I'm not
very sure how the body is stored during this time or how this is
calculated).

I've read that human decomposition starts approx. 4 min after death and
autolysis is quicker in tissues with high enzyme and water content.
However, in terms of the skin and underlying adipose tissue I didn't
know
if there was an accepted 'cut off time' postmortem after which tissue
is considered far from representative of 'live' tissue and not worth
analysis.

Can anyone give some insight? Any information or references would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Yak-Nam

Senior Fellow