[Histonet] overdecalcified bone

Goodwin, Diana GoodwinD <@t> pahosp.com
Thu Jul 14 13:50:36 CDT 2005

Hermina:

We used the 5% periodic acid overnight method with remarkable results.  I am
writing a procedure...do you have any idea why these methods work, ie, the
chemistry behind the method?  I found the original method in the AFIP
manual, but no theory was given.

Thanks,
Diana G. Goodwin
Department of Pathology
Pennsylvania Hospital
800 Spruce St., Preston 655-C
Philadelphia, PA  19107

ph:  215-829-6532
fax:  215-829-7564
e-mail:  goodwind <@t> pahosp.com

----Original Message-----
From: Hermina Borgerink [mailto:hborgeri <@t> wfubmc.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 1:40 PM
To: Goodwin, Diana; kalschev <@t> svm.vetmed.wisc.edu
Cc: Histonet (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [Histonet] overdecalcified bone

>From Theory and practice of Histotechnology, Sheehan and Hrapchak, Appendix
B, p. 445.

To restore basophilic properties to tissues as the result of overexposure to
decalcifying solution:

Method 1

1.    Deparaffinize and hydrate slides

2.    Place slides in 5% aqueous sodium bicarbonate solution from 4 hours to
overnight

3.    Wash in tap water for 5 minutes

4.    Stain as desired

Method 2

In step 2, use 5% aqueous solution of ammonium sulfide overnight

Method 3

In step 2, use 5% aqueous solution of periodic acid overnight

Hopefully one of these methods will work for you.

Hermina

Hermina M. Borgerink, BA, HTL(ASCP)QIHC

Wake Forest University Health Sciences

Department of Pathology

Medical Center Blvd.

Winston-Salem, NC 27157

Tel. (336) 716-1538

Fax. (336) 716-1515

e-mail hborgeri <@t> wfubmc.edu

"Treat a man as he appears to be, and you make him worse.  But treat a man
as if he already were what he potentially could be, and you make him what he
should be."  (Goethe)

This electronic message, including any attachments, is confidential and
proprietary and is solely for the intended recipient.  If you are not the
intended recipient, this message was sent to you in error and you are hereby
advised that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
message, or any of the information included therein, is unauthorized and
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this electronic transmission in
error, please immediately notify the sender by reply and permanently delete
all copies of this message and its attachments.  Thank you.