[Histonet] liver cryosections

Alan Bright abright <@t> brightinstruments.com
Wed Jul 6 04:57:22 CDT 2005

Dear Renee,

Is the liver shredding horizontally or vertical ? If horizontal the
likely causes are that the liver is to cold, the knife, disposable blade
or holder is not held firm enough, or there is wear in the microtome
slideways or drive bearings. If vertical, the knife or disposable blade
has small nicks along the cutting edge.

Best Regards

Alan Bright

Bright Instrument Co.Ltd.
St Margaret's Way
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
PE29 6EU
England

Tel No:+44 (0)1480 454528
Fax No:+44 (0)1480 456031
Email: abright <@t> brightinstruments.com
Web Site: www.brightinstruments.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Till, Renee [mailto:TillRenee <@t> uams.edu]
Sent: 05 July 2005 16:40
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] liver cryosections

Can anyone offer some advice on cutting liver cryosections? My every
attempt produces shredded tissues. I know in paraffin embedding that
means they are dry and I would soak it in ice water before I cut, but
what do you do with cryosections? I'm pretty sure it's not my cutting
technique, though I am fairly new at it. I've adjusted the roll plate
and the vacume window. And I've tried it without the roll plate, though
as we are just starting out with our cryostat I don't have any good
brushes for pulling the section. Any ideas? Maybe they did not have
enough time to come down from -80 to -20? I left them in for about 2
hours.

Renee'