[Histonet] IHC in resin embedded sections

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Mon Jan 31 19:10:11 CST 2005

    Your success will depend on the antigen in question and how it
reacts to fixation and embedding.
I would try fixing in buffered formalin or paraformaldehyde and
embedding in Araldite or an Epon substitute, avoid Spurr's resin. There
are some resins that are quite antigen friendly, Lowicryl for one, but
they are a bit harder to use. You might be able to use some
glutaraldehyde in the fixative but I would first find a method that
works, then try for better morphology with stronger fixation.
    You might also try Vibratome sections of 40-100 microns before
embedding. Then do IHC on those before embedding or just use those
sections to check orientation of the tissue.
    Frozen sections of fixed material should provide very good
morphology if freezing is done very quickly after proper cryoprotection.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.