[Histonet] immunofluorescence on paraffin sections (looking for a detailed protocol)

Rocan rocan <@t> mac.com
Thu Jan 27 11:15:54 CST 2005

Marco,
In my hands, immunofluorescence on paraffin is a very frustrating and
unrewarding task. I am sorry to have to say this.  Fixatives that
crosslink tissue (para- and formaldehyde) cause massive collagen
crosslinking.  Collagen is  inherently highly auto-fluorescent.  If the
bundles of collagen are cross-linked the autofluorescence is increased
to a point in which it strongly interferes with most fluorochromes used
for immunofluorescence.
There may be some ways to reduce the autofluorescence of cross-linked
tissue and I am sure you would be receiving the best advice in this
forum.  However, I thought it would be important to mention the major
setbacks of the technique just incase you may have not been aware of
this.

When possible, use frozen section of fresh unfixed tissue or even
better, whole explants if and when this possibility exists (tissue
slices, retinas,peritoneum, etc)

-----
Dr.Rocio Sierra-Honigmann
Director