[Histonet] bubbles around tissue in MMA

renton louise mrs rentonlf <@t> bru.wits.ac.za
Thu Jan 27 03:31:56 CST 2005

Hi Lori,

We too have experienced this problem, and there may be several expalantions:
1.In large, imperfectly infiltrated specimens...you do not mention a size, but I assume that they are reasonably small, so this might not be the case
2.Too much polymer in the mould, polymerising too fast. How long do you mix the embedding mix? I usually do 50mls no longer than 20 mins.
You can try layering the polymer over the tissue and this may help
Finally, if the tissue & sectioning is OK, why worry? Just carry on as usual, but if you like we can try to solve this problem, even though I am only a novice at using this resin too.

Oh yes, I use polypropylene pill vials as moulds 20, 30 & 50 mls. I layer a little of the polymer on the bottom of the tube & let it set before I use the molds in order to help orient the specimen. If the specimens are tiny then BEEM capsules, Eppendorff tubes or cryotubes can be used as long as they are polyprop & not styrene.

Best regards

-----Original Message-----
From: "Langiano, Lori, MS, HT" <lori.langiano <@t> medtronic.com>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:44:20 -0800
Subject: [Histonet] bubbles around tissue in MMA

Hello all, this is my first query to the histonet. I recently started embedding tissues in MMA using the Technovit 9100 kit. I will mostly be embedding stented vessels. I have had problems with bubbles forming around the tissue during polymerization. I have not tried destabilizing the monomer yet, but did try using a vacuum before placing the sealed samples at 4 degrees C in a dessicator. Any ideas you have would be welcome. I did not find anything on this in the archives. Also, I would like to know what people use for embedding molds. Thanks,
Lori