[Histonet] Luxol Fast Blue tissue damage

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Thu Jan 27 00:22:38 CST 2005

You have provided a superb description of ice crystal holes
in CNS tissue. This is due to slow freezing of the specimen,
which must be prevented. An abundance of advice is available
on the Web, and it's all been there in printed books for
more than 40 years.

Your staining method includes some crazy steps. Have you looked
up the method in a book? There are various modifications of the
original method, and the mechanism of myelin staining by luxol
dyes is quite well understood.

Your 'regular large "holes" in my tissue' do not originate
"after staining" for myelin. The empty spaces were formed when
the specimens were too slowly frozen.

John Kiernan
London, Canada.