[Histonet] Freezing Biopsies

Kathleen Spencer kspencer <@t> utmem.edu
Wed Jan 26 09:39:59 CST 2005

Amos,
The way we did this was to place the biopsy in a plastic mold, add OCT,
grab the huge forceps and plunge it into liquid nitrogen and count to 5
or 10, I can't remember, but it always worked fine. We did not use
isopentane. The surface of the block was always nice and smooth. It had
to be! The biopsies were so tiny. What you can do is get a fresh mold,
put a little OCT in the bottom, put the frozen block in and spray it a
little with cryo spray. You should now have a smooth surface for
sectioning.

Good Luck!

Kathleen Spencer HT (ASCP)
Lab Manager/LCM Supervisor