[Histonet] calling all muscle folks... PHOS coverslipping

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Sat Jan 22 14:41:53 CST 2005

In their original paper, Takeuchi and Kuriaki pointed out that one could
preserve the stain by adding iodine to the alcohols, xylene, and mounting
resin.  Haruo Machida, Edwin Perkins, and I took the trouble to find the
ideal iodine concentrations: 1 mg/ml of alcohol, xylene, or mounting resin.
We found that the best resin for this purpose was Clay-Adams' "Histoclad".
Harleco's HSR was the only other satisfactory mounting resin. (Durable
mounts of the iodine stain for the phosphorylase reaction, Stain Technology
41: 346-347, 1966) I was able to take publishable photographs of
amylo-phosphorylase reactions preserved this way 25 years after the slides
were made.

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University