[Histonet] Certification requirements

Georgia Stewart stewart_georgia <@t> sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 22 10:57:05 CST 2005

Good morning

I work in California which does not require certification to work in histology labs but I'm unsure how CLIA classifies performing IHC.  Is IHC also high complexity?  What education/certification is required by CLIA '88 for techs performing high complexity stains?

Thanks in advance
Georgia Stewart

lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net wrote:
Don't know exactly where you work, or who is saying this, so I'll cover it
from a couple of angles:

As several other individuals as pointed out, only Florida has a law that
says histotechs must be certified (as far as I'm aware, also). It used to be
that the lab techs had to take a Florida exam, but that was changed about a
year or two ago, and now the ASCP exam is accepted.

That said, I also want to add that each institution and/or lab can also set
their own standards. CLIA '88 has basically ignored histotechs, so if techs
are doing routine histology (i.e., no ISH for example which is high
complexity), then they are low complexity, which means just a high school
education but with training.

But many labs set up their own standards
- HS degree
- some college
- some college bio-chem course
- associate degree with bio-chem courses
- not HT certified
- HT certified
- HT certification eligible
- must take & pass certifiication exam within X # years of becoming eligible
- etc.

Same with HTL, with BA/BS degree.

If the institution says must take the HT ASCP exam, and the new ASCP
requirements are that the candidate must have 60 college credit hours
minimum with 12 hours of bio/chem, then that becomes the standard for those
taking the certification exam.

If you give us a little more information about the situation, we can provide
a little more information specific to your query.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48037