[Histonet] Special stain

lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 22 10:30:11 CST 2005

Charges for specials stains relate more to HOW LONG (time) a pathologist
needs to diagnose a slide. Microorganisms take longer to find/diagnosis than
non-microorganisms stains.

So a PAS done for glycogen or mucin is one charge (88312), while a PAS done
for fungus is a different charge (88313). Yet, it is the same PAS stain and
it costs the same for histology reagents/tech time.

Conversely, a GMS done for fungus is the same charge as a PAS done for
fungus (88313). Yet GMS costs more - cost of silver, cost of silver
disposal, longer tech time, etc. Same with looking for helicobacter - lab
cost of Steiner vs. Diff-Quik, but the same reimbursement charge.

Pathologists are often not aware of the COST of the stain (reagents,
disposal, tech time) in comparison to the REIMBURSEMENT (difference which
equals PROFIT or LOSS).

When we do a cost analysis, we can often persuade the pathologists to switch
to a cheaper stain.

Who does the billing and the determination of which stains go into which
categories at your institution? There are also different charges if the
tissue needed a frozen section, to be decalcified, is an enzyme procedure,
etc.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073