[Histonet] Use of Sta-On for Immuno stains

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Fri Jan 21 09:37:30 CST 2005

How did you determine that it was the Sta-on that caused your section to
fall off?  We have been using Sta-on for all slides for many, many years and
have been doing IHC for 10 or so years without a problem.  If you are doing
HIER, you will need positively charged slide in addition to the Sta-on.

Tom Mc Nemar HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Licking Memorial Hospital
Newark, Ohio 43055

-----Original Message-----
From: KarBieber <@t> aol.com [mailto:KarBieber <@t> aol.com]
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 10:11 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Use of Sta-On for Immuno stains

I was just wondering how other labs are handling this situation:  For
prostate and breast core biopsies we cut extra slides for potential immuno
staining,
between the levels.  The problem is the use of adhesive in the water bath.
Since we are cutting H&E's, there is the possibility of fall off during
staining
if we DON'T use sta-on.  But using it increases the possibility of fall off
during immunos staining.  And if we don't use the sta-on, we run the risk of

fall off on ALL the cases the techs are cutting that day.

I know there are lots of labs out there performing immunos, so I'd like to
know how you've resolved this.
Thanks,
Karen