[Histonet] Bouins fixation problem

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Fri Jan 21 11:39:29 CST 2005

Hi Kim:

    Hmm. Certainly sounds like an infiltration problem. My first though
is that you are not getting all of the alcohol out of the medulla so
xylene (or substitute) is not getting in so the wax is not getting in.
When you say that you have checked all of the processing solutions and
they are fine, how did you check them? What is the criteria for deciding
that a solution is good? I would dump ALL of  the processing solutions
and ALL of the wax and start fresh. Run some kidneys, cut them, and see
if that solves the problem. There is a small chance that the
manufacturer of your wax has changed the formula but with modern waxes
and additives such a change seems unlikely to cause problems.
    As for reagents going bad, picric acid last forever, formaldehyde is
fine as long as there is no ppt. on the bottom of the bottle, I don't
think glacial acetic acid goes bad. Even if the fixation was incomplete
(you did not say how long you fix the kidneys, if you perfuse fixative,
or if you slice them open) the alcohols should finish the fixation.
    Good luck!

Geoff

--
--