[Histonet] certification requirements to work in histo labs

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Thu Jan 20 16:14:25 CST 2005

I am curious or rather need clarification here.  Licensed means licensed by
the state but HT(SCP) is a certification granted by a certification agency,
ASCP/CAP.  I don't think ASCP/CAP is governed by any state's' licensing
regulations.

Many moons ago, in New York, one did not have to be certified as an HT to
be licensed by the state (one had to take a test for NY licensure), and
there were NY licensed technicians without HT(ASCP) certification
performing tech duties and, in fact, was the supervisor of our
histopathology lab.

At 01:49 PM 1/20/2005, you wrote:

>Fran,
>
>In Florida where I am, to perform tech duties you must be licensed.
>However, you may employ non techs to work as lab aides. These aides may
>perform a wide variety of duties that usually are done by techs.
>Specifically what they cannot do is: embed, cut, stain, frozen sections
>etc. What they can do is: change reagents, coverslip, start and stop an
>automated stainer. I hope this helps.
>
>Dawn Cowie, HT
>
>Pensacola Path

Gayle Callis