[Histonet] HIPPA rules and fax transmittals going to wrong person

Victor Tobias victor <@t> pathology.washington.edu
Thu Jan 20 15:24:08 CST 2005

We had an incident where a patient report went to a Barnes and Noble
bookstore. At the time of the incident many users had access to our
database for inputting new referring physicians. It is very easy to make
a typo and the fax is going who knows where. The bookstore contacted us
regarding the incident. We confirmed that we had their fax number in our
database. An incident report was filed with risk management. Since the
incident, we have restricted access to our database. Our facility
recommendation is to verify fax numbers quarterly. With our staffing
levels this is not feasible. We do send out annual verifications, that
whoever signs the form is stating the fax number is correct and the
machine is in a secure location. We will make several attempts to get
the verification back. If there is no response then we will stop faxing
to them and send a print copy through the mail. We have custom reports
created to query the database when a physician is listed on a current
case and their fax verification is more than a year old. Our facility
policy states that a reasonable effort will be made to verify a fax
number. What happens when a doctors office calls and asks for a copy of
a patient report? We document in the database who we sent a copy of the
report to.

Victor

--
Victor Tobias
Clinical Applications Analyst
University of Washington Medical Center
Dept of Pathology Room BB220
1959 NE Pacific
Seattle, WA 98195
victor <@t> pathology.washington.edu
206-598-2792
206-598-7659 Fax
Privileged, confidential or patient identifiable information may be
contained in this message. This information is meant only for the use
of the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, or
if the message has been addressed to you in error, do not read,
disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this
transmission. Instead, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and
then destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.