[Histonet] perfusion suggestions follow up

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Thu Jan 20 13:44:27 CST 2005

Dear Kristen:

    Your original posting (see below) gave no indication that you were
familiar with perfusion for LM or EM. You did not ask for fixative
composition, you just asked for "any suggestions". Given the broad scope
of your question, the advice you got WAS helpful. The fixative
combination for wanting to do both on the same tissue IS out there, but
you have to be more specific in your question. The correct fixative
combinatio will depend on:
1. Are you doing histochemistry? If so, what reaction? Pre-embedding or
post-embedding reaction?
2. Are you doing immunohistochemistry? If so, what antigen?
Pre-embedding or post-embedding reaction?
3. What plastic are you embedding in?
4. What routine stains do you need to do?
5. What part of the brain will you be looking at? The brain is a big place.
6. Do you need to do LM and EM on the same piece of tissue/same cells?

Advice on HistoNet is free. Some of it is quite good. Checking published
papers in refereed journals and looking at the results is always a good
idea, espcially given the cost of experimental animals.

Geoff

Kristen Reynolds wrote:

I need advice on perfusion solutions for rat/monkey
brains.  I need to use the tissue for both light
microscopy and EM.  Any suggestions?

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.