[Histonet] Faxing of Pathology Reports[Scanned]

Marshall Terry Dr, Consultant Histopathologist Terry.Marshall <@t> rothgen.nhs.uk
Thu Jan 20 04:54:21 CST 2005

As you may gather from Kemlo's post, here in the UK we are rather hot on patient confidentiality.
This extends to protecting patient's path reports from being seen by most of the world, which would have no interest or understanding of them whatsoever.
Be that as it may vast amounts of money and mental energy are expended in this aim.

On the rare occasions we fax, our practise is to be on the phone during a fax, so that its safe receipt by the requester can be recorded, or, if not feasible, be on the phone immediately before and after for the same purpose.

BTW - I acknowledge that this aspect of faxing was not part of the original query.

Dr Terry L Marshall, B.A.(Law), M.B.,Ch.B.,F.R.C.Path
 Consultant Pathologist
 Rotherham General Hospital
 South Yorkshire
 England
        terry.marshall <@t> rothgen.nhs.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: Kemlo Rogerson [mailto:Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk]
Sent: 20 January 2005 08:07
To: 'O'Brien, Sue'; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Faxing of Pathology Reports[Scanned]

Maybe it's wise to make sure that the FAX you are sending goes to a secure
machine by whatever means. Cleaners and others may take interest in a result
on their mate(s); get a disclaimer from the recipient accepting
responsibility for the secureness of their telecommunication system and file
it.

Plus I think you have a responsibility to send to the correct FAX and to
record that.