[Histonet] stain for tight junctions

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Thu Jan 13 12:21:46 CST 2005

Hi Kathy:

    You can put peroxidase in the vascular system and watch it leak, or
not leak, out of the capillaries. I suppose you could put it in the
lumen of the G-I or UG tract as well, if that is the tissue you are
interested in. I do not know of the specific details of this method, but
it has been used since the 1970's,  and probably earlier, to show
transcapillary transport.  Do a google search for "peroxidase tracing"
and see what you come up with.
    Have a look at J. Neurocytology 10:607-643, 1981 for a method using
Evans blue as a tracer. It is a small molecule and crosses most
endothelia easlily but it might be what you want.
    I seem to remember that lanthanum has also been used to trace
leakage, or lack thereof, across epithelia.
    Keep in mind that these methods are quite "old" and, while
well-documented in the literature, may not show up in an internet
search. You may have to go to the library.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.