[Histonet] reversible tissue adhesion to slides

Janis C. Weeks weeks <@t> uoneuro.uoregon.edu
Mon Jan 10 20:50:43 CST 2005

Dear colleagues,

We are looking for a method to very firmly attach unfixed larval
Drosophila ventral ganglia to a glass slide so we can slice off one
surface of the ganglion (to remove neurons that we don't want; it's a
long story; e-mail me if you want to know), to be followed by
*releasing the attached tissue* from the slide and preparing primary
neuronal cultures.  The tissue needs to be kept alive and happy
under saline.  Polylysine doesn't hold tight enough for the slicing
step (which we do with a fine blade).  Possibilities that have come
to mind are using more adhesive slides (e.g., coated with
aminosilane?), using some sort of double-stick tape, or a
releasable glue (e.g., something like vetbond but that can be made
to release?).  Obviously part of the difficulty is to release the tissue
without destroying it.   Does anyone have a suggestion?  thanks!

Janis Weeks

Janis C. Weeks, Professor of Biology
weeks <@t> uoneuro.uoregon.edu
http://www.neuro.uoregon.edu/faculty/weeks.html