[Histonet] Warthin-Starry on B-5 fixed tissue

Moklebust, Amanda C amoklebu <@t> seattlecca.org
Wed Jan 5 19:44:15 CST 2005

	I have been asked to try out a Warthin-Starry protocol previously
posted on the histonet (Slides are placed in 1% heated sliver nitrate, then
developed in a solution of silver nitrate, hydroquinone, and gelatin).  I am
only getting the control to stain if I skip our usual pretreatment for
mercury pigment.  No, the control was not fixed in B-5, but we normally put
everything into alcoholic iodine for 4 minutes, water rinse, then 1 minute
in sodium thiosulfate, and a final water rinse. I have not been working with
B-5 fixed tissue for very long, so I would like to know what other techs can
recommend.  Do I just continue to avoid alcoholic iodine?  Is there a better
option for B-5 fixed tissue?  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Amanda Moklebust,
Seattle Cancer Care Alliance

 This electronic message transmission contains information which may be
confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the
use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the
intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution
or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have
received this electronic transmission in error, please leave a message
via telephone at (206) 288-6266, notify me by electronic reply, and
relate to official business are understood as neither given nor
endorsed by the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. To view our complete
Notice of Privacy Practices, visit our web site at www.seattlecca.org.