[Histonet] Regulations regarding placenta retention - when NO T sent to lab

Luck, Greg D. LuckG <@t> empirehealth.org
Wed Jan 5 17:11:16 CST 2005

Sue,

This would not appear to be a lab issue if they are not submitted to lab for
a path exam.  When this question arose here I sent it on to nursing, Risk
Management and the OBGYN committee.  Specimen retention requirements for the
lab are well defined.  If a specimen is not submitted to the lab, in my
opinion it should be quickly discarded by the dept of origin.  Be careful
not to let your lab become a repository for specimens that the physicians
want to hold.  If the placenta is important enough to hold then it should be
submitted for a path exam.  If not it should be discarded as "medical waste"
with the other disposables that are generated or accumulate during a
delivery.  Good luck.

Greg Luck, BS, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Deaconess Medical Center