[Histonet] Needle biopsies

Therersa Stegall STEGTM <@t> samcstl.org
Mon Jan 3 11:27:51 CST 2005

Ditto.  I'd rather cut again, extra levels, than pare into a thready bx.
 On some, eg. liver, I will cut extra to begin with, anticipating
specials.  Peace, Terre

>>> "Joe Nocito" <JNocito <@t> Pathreflab.com> 12/30/2004 7:00:14 AM >>>
Jim,
I always refer to what my 8th grade shop teacher told us. It is always
easier to shave off a little more wood, than it is trying to glue it
back
on. I have taken this advice to the histo lab.
	Once, when I was a rookie many moons ago, I had to fish through
paraffin
shavings to locate a renal biopsy that I cut away. Since that time, I
always
cut on the conservative side and explain to the pathologists that it
always
easier to go back into the block than fish through paraffin shavings. I
do
get static sometimes, but after they cool down, they realize it was a
good
descion.

As always, the opinions of the author do not reflect the opinions of
his
employers and their lawyers.

Joe Nocito, BS, HT(ASCP) QIHC
Histology Manager