[Histonet] RE: [IHCRG] Automated immunostainer for research applications

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Thu Feb 24 08:48:37 CST 2005

As for antibody amount.  On the DAKO depending on the size of the tissue I
use 100 microliters to 200 microliters, I always use a pap pen to isolate
the reagent over the section, I put all my sections at the bottom of the
slide as the reagent tends to draw up towards the label, I just draw one
line straight across the slide just above the section at the bottom to keep
the reagent down at the bottom over the section, I deparaffinize, rehydrate
to 95% alcohol and then let the sections dry, I then draw the pap pen line
while the section is dry before rinsing with dih20 and then buffer, some pap
pens these days even survive HIER (BioCare's does), I have even noticed that
this one is still there after passing thru alcohols and xylene to coverslip,
others I have used will not survive the solvents.
As Loui, if I am developing a protocol, I check the DAB development
microscopically until I get an optimized time, I then program the machine
for that time for that protocol.
I am an advocate for longer incubation times with more dilute antibodies, I
feel you get cleaner staining and more efficient use of the antibodies.  I
also dilute detections and use them for longer periods in this same way.  I
know in clinical practice everybody is in a hurry but I think you pay in
cost of reagents and signal/noise by using antibodies too concentrated for
short times.
Patsy