[Histonet] Plant histology

Frank, Matthew Matthew_Frank <@t> URMC.Rochester.edu
Mon Feb 21 10:23:44 CST 2005

I use root tip sections fixed in CRAF and stained with Flemming's Triple
stain (Safranin O, Crystal Violet and Orange G).

Xylene, Ethanol changes to hydrate, water rinse, Safranin O 1% aqueous for
1.5 hours, 15-25 secondes with 1% Iodine and 1% KI in 80 % ethanol, 5
minutes in 1%aq crsytal violet, 30 seconds of same iodine solution, rinsed
with 100% ethanol, 0.25 % solution of clove oil for about 5 minutes (be
careful not to take out all of the crystal violet), rinse with xylene, clear
and mount.

-----Original Message-----
From: Histopatty <@t> aol.com [mailto:Histopatty <@t> aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 4:15 PM
To: histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Plant histology

Dose any one on the list have any knowledge or experience in plant
histology.
 Specifically I am trying to demonstrate mitosis in onion roots.  The slides

I have access to are faded and the details are not crisp enough for
photography.  Any help on processing protocols and staining techniques would
be
appreciated.
Patty.Eneff <@t> hcahealthcare.com
or Histopatty <@t> aol.com